Set up two-factor authentication
For added security and peace of mind, dscout supports two-factor authentication (2FA). This means you can require two forms of credentials to log in: (1) Your email and password and (2) a unique, temporary passcode generated by a 2FA app or SMS message.
- Warming Up
- Getting Started
- Getting Set Up - Authentication App
- Getting Set Up - SMS Text Generate New Backup Codes
- Help! I locked myself out
- Deactivating Two Factor Authentication
To use 2FA, you’ll need to have your mobile device with you to generate a verification code. There are two options available to you. You are able to set up 2FA both ways if you wish:
- Download an authentication app on your device. (e.g. Authy, Google Authenticator, Authenticator Plus, Duo Mobile, etc.
- Be able to receive SMS text messages on your mobile phone.
- Navigate to your dscout Profile settings by clicking your profile picture in the top-right corner, then selecting ‘Profile’.
- From the personal settings page, you’ll click on the ‘Activate Two Factor Authentication’ button.
- The next page will walk you through the setup for 2FA using a mobile authentication app. You may may also set up using SMS text instead.
Getting Set Up - Authentication App
- Open the authentication app and use it to scan the QR code on the 2FA setup page using your device’s camera -- there is usually a “+” icon to add a new account.
- Once you scan the QR code, enter the 6-digit verification code generated by the app.
- Click ‘Verify Code and Activate.’ When you log in next time, you’ll be prompted to enter a 6-digit code from your authentication app.
- If you haven’t already set up SMS verification, you’ll then be taken to the 2FA Backup Codes page. You must copy and store these codes somewhere safe in case you lose access to your authentication device. Each code can only be used once to login to your account.
- Optional: you can also activate SMS verification by going back to your profile settings!
Getting Set Up - SMS Text
- From the SMS setup page, enter your mobile phone number to receive a verification code.
- Enter the 6-digit verification code received on your mobile phone via SMS text.
- Click ‘Verify Code and Activate,’ and you’re all set! When you log in next time, you’ll be prompted to enter a 6-digit code.
- If you haven’t already set up authentication via an app, you’ll then be taken to the 2FA Backup Codes page. You must copy and store these codes somewhere safe in case you lose access to your authentication device. Each code can only be used once to login to your account.
- Optional: you can also activate authentication via an app by going back to your profile settings!
NOTE: Data and messaging rates may apply. Depending on your cellular service provider, the SMS message may be delayed. If it has been more than a minute and you have not received the code, you will either need to request a new one or use a backup code.
Generate New Backup Codes
In case you lost track of your active set of backup codes, you can always generate a new set of codes. You’ll find this option under your Profile settings.
Heads up: when you generate new backup codes, your old codes will no longer be valid.
Help! I locked myself out
No worries! Please reach out to email@example.com for help with regaining access to your account.
Deactivating Two Factor Authentication
Under Profile settings, you’ll have the option to deactivate your 2FA login requirement. When you click the link, you’ll be prompted to enter your password to confirm the deactivation.