Participating in Live missions
So you've been invited to your first Live mission—congrats! In this article, you'll learn all about:
- How to accept your invitation
- Who your mission leader is and how to contact them
- Requirements for getting paid
- Completing your Live pre-test
- Scheduling your session
- Rescheduling your session
- Joining your Live session
How to accept your invitation
To accept your invitation to the mission, follow these steps:
- Log into your account on the dscout mobile app.
- Find the second tab, labeled Invites, on the bottom navigation bar and tap on it.
- Find the mission you’ve been invited to and tap on the card to continue.
- When you tap on the card, you’ll land on the Mission Overview page. You can read up more about the mission details, instructions, structure, and invite date here.
- To accept the mission, tap on Accept Invitation on the bottom-right hand corner of the screen.
- To decline the mission, tap on Decline on the bottom-right hand corner of the screen.
- If you want to message your mission leader, tap on the messaging icon on the top-right corner of the screen. Any message you send here will go directly to your mission leader.
Who's your mission leader?
Mission leaders are the folks in charge; we also call them moderators for Live missions. They're the ones you'll be having a conversation with during your Live session. They're also available in case you have questions that aren't answered in the mission overview or instructions, or if you have trouble scheduling and rescheduling a session. You can contact yours by tapping the "Messages" tab while viewing a mission.
Sometimes, the mission leader is a representative of dscout. Other times, your mission leader could be someone from a company that is using dscout for their own research purposes.
Requirements for getting paid
So long as you schedule a session, call in at your scheduled time, and complete the session to your mission leader's satisfaction, your mission leader will mark you as approved for payments!
Completing your Live pre-test
Complete these tasks more than 24 hours before your session. It is important to be set up well in advance so you can grab a timeslot before they're all gone. The pre-test also helps ensure that you'll be able to call into your live session on time! If you are more than 10 minutes late, you could be marked as a no-show and may not have another opportunity to participate.
To make this experience as smooth as possible, here’s your to-do list!
- Make sure you have Google Chrome installed on a computer with a microphone and a webcam.
- If this is your first Live mission, install the dscout Live Chrome extension.
- Complete your Live pre-test by clicking on the session link in your invitation email. Follow the prompts here to test your connectivity, camera, microphone, and speakers to make sure your set-up is good to go for your call!
- If all tests pass, then return to your Live session link and run through the join call flow all the way through once. Once you reach the waiting room, you will see a screen with yourself in the top left corner and a message that says Waiting For Moderator in the center. You can close out this link for now but be sure to come back to this link and follow the same flow when it's time for your session! See the steps outlined here.
If any of the tests result in failure, take a screenshot and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately for support, at least 24 hours before your session and check out this troubleshooting document.
Scheduling your Live session
Once you've completed your Live pre-test, it's time to schedule your session! How you schedule your Live session depends on what type of scheduling the mission leader has enabled. Read more about the two options below:
If the mission leader has pre-determined their availability with pre-booked sessions, you'll be able to select from a list of available time slots immediately after you complete your Live pre-test. Check out the steps below.
- After you accept your mission, you'll be able to see all the available timeslots that your mission leader has chosen.
- Select the time slot you would like to reserve (please note: all timeslots will be listed in your system’s timezone).
- Click the Confirm Timeslot button to finish reserving the date and time of your Live session.
- After booking, you will receive a scheduling confirmation email. You will also receive reminders 1 day and 1 hour before your scheduled session.
Pro tip: No more time slots available? Reach out to your mission leader to schedule your session manually.
If your mission leader has chosen our Manual scheduling tool, you won't be able to select from a predetermined list of times immediately after you complete your pre-test. Instead, your mission leader will contact you directly via email or in the dscout mobile app to confirm a day and time. Keep an eye out for a message in both your email inbox and dscout mobile app
Once your scheduled time is confirmed and your mission leader schedules it you, you’ll receive a confirmation email. You'll also receive reminder emails 1 day before your session and 1 hour before your session.
Rescheduling your Live session
How you reschedule your Live session depends on whether or not your mission leader has enabled our Automatic scheduling tool. Read more below.
Rescheduling for Automatic sessions
If you need to reschedule your Live session and your mission leader has enabled our Automatic scheduling tool (reminder that this option lets you schedule your calls from a predetermined list of available time slots automatically after accepting your Live mission), you can reschedule your call by following these steps:
- Log into your email account and search for the original scheduling confirmation email from dscout. This message would’ve came from email@example.com and would’ve had the words Scheduling confirmation in the email's subject. Open the email once found.
- Click on the Join Your Live Session button.
- If prompted, enter your dscout email address and password and click Sign In.
- You’ll see your scheduled time highlighted in green under the name of the Live session. Click on the Reschedule button to the right of your time slot to reschedule.
Pro tip: You won’t be able to reschedule your Live session on the same day. Therefore, the Reschedule button mentioned (and shown) above will not be available to you if you’re trying to reschedule within 24 hours of your original scheduled time.
Rescheduling for Manual sessions
If you need to reschedule your Live session and your mission leader has not enabled our Automatic scheduling tool, you’ll have to reschedule your session manually. To do this, simply contact your mission leader directly. You can do this by either messaging your mission leader in the app or by replying to your invitation or scheduling confirmation email.
Joining your Live session
You’ll receive an email reminder exactly one hour before your scheduled call. The subject of this email will be Scheduling reminder for ‘...’ Live mission. To join your Live session, follow the steps or check out the gif below:
- Access the reminder email and click the Join Your Live Session button.
- You may be prompted to sign in. If you are, enter your email address and password and click Sign In.
- On the bottom of the Live session's detail screen, click the Start Session button to test your set-up one more time.
- At this point, dscout will check to see if your microphone, camera, and sound work properly. We'll also check that you're using Google Chrome, the dscout Chrome extension, and have a good internet connection. If all goes well, you'll be able to click Get Started to join the waiting room.
When your moderator joins the call, click the Join button to join the call.
Having trouble? Check out this document for troubleshooting Live setup issues.