Upload issues and troubleshooting steps
Identifying whether or not your entry media uploaded is easy! When you submit your entry, you will see a spinning loop graphic, indicating that your upload is in progress. Once the upload has completed, the loop graphic will be replaced by a box with a number. This number represents the entry number (i.e. 1 means your first entry, 2 means your second entry, etc.).
Upload spinning forever? See a red exclamation point instead of that number? Read on to identify the different types of upload issues and how to fix them:
- Upload still spinning after several minutes
- Red exclamation point
- Entry uploaded, but media didn't
- Entry disappeared
Upload still spinning after several minutes
Check your notification bar (Android)
You'll see the dscout icon in your phone's notifications bar if you have an active upload in progress. Swipe down on your mobile device to access your notification bar. If you see an upload in progress, this means that your entry is still indeed uploading and hasn’t finished yet.
Pro tip: This is specific to the Android app. You won’t see a progress bar in your notifications if you have an iPhone.
Check your Uploads tab (iPhone)
You can check the status of the upload by accessing your Uploads tab (navigate to Profile > Active Uploads). If there is an upload in progress, that means your entry is indeed still uploading. Wait for the progress bar to hit 100% and double check if your entry has successfully uploaded to your mission.
If there isn’t an upload in progress and your entry is still spinning, you’ve encountered a bug. Log out of your account and log back in to see if the entry was uploaded properly.
Pro tip: The uploads tab will only show active and failed uploads. If you don't have an active upload in progress or a failed upload to retry, there won't be anything in the Uploads tab.
Refresh your app data
If your entry appears to be uploading for a long time, and there isn’t any indication that your upload is still in progress (see above), try refreshing your app data. You can refresh your app data by (1) closing and reopening the app or (2) logging out and logging back into your dscout account. This should refresh your app data and remove any cached images.
Red exclamation point
If you see this red box where your entry is supposed to be, this means that your entry didn't upload correctly and you'll have to fix it.
To fix this issue, follow these steps:
- Make sure your phone is connected to a strong internet connection, either through wifi or your mobile device’s data plan.
- Tap on red entry with the exclamation point to access your failed entry.
- Depending on the circumstances, you may be prompted to reattach your video to your entry or redo the video portion of your entry completely.
- When you get to the Review Entry screen, make sure that all of your answers are correct and hit Submit Entry to re-submit your entry.
If the red box with the exclamation point doesn’t go away after attempting these steps, try refreshing your app data by logging out and logging back in. Additionally, you can always double check the status of your upload by accessing your Uploads tab. If the upload has failed, you can tap the Retry button to restart your upload.
Entry uploaded, but media didn't
If your video or photo didn’t upload even though your entry appears to have uploaded properly, your mission leader might reach out to you via our in-app messaging feature or they might comment on the entry with the missing media to notify you about it.
To fix this issue, you can choose one of the following methods:
Re-upload your missing media
If your mission leader reaches out to you (via in-app messaging or commenting on the entry in question) to notify you that your media didn’t upload even though your entry was successfully submitted, you can check your Uploads tab to see if any uploads failed. Check it out below.
Email your missing media to your mission leader
If your mission leader reaches out to you (via in-app messaging or commenting on the entry in question) to notify you that your media didn’t upload even though your entry was successfully submitted, you can email them the missing media. Follow the steps to do so:
- With your mission leader, identify the entry in question. You may have, for example, successfully submitted Entry 1 in Part 1, but with a failed video.
- Log into your email.
- Send an email to our Support team with your missing media file attached (you’ll be able to find this file in your phone’s media storage). Here's where you can contact our team: https://help.dscout.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
- In the body of your email, please make sure to mention the mission name, part name, and entry number. If you know the name of the dscout employee who is leader the mission, please be sure to write ATTN: [their name] in the email's subject.
Note: if your media is larger than 25MB, you may not be able to attach it to an email. If this is the case, you can upload your media to Google Drive, Dropbox, or another file sharing service and send the link to email@example.com. Just remember to set the link access so that anyone with the link can view your video!
If your entry has disappeared, this likely means that the entry never finished uploading before you exited or logged out of the app. If your entry disappeared without you navigating away from the app, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so our Support team can investigate and report the problem if necessary.