Observing a Live session
Any person who has been added to a dscout project is able to observe an active Live session.
Each session requires exactly one moderator (but can have many observers). The moderator can be any member on the project who plans to engage face-to-face with a scout during a session.
Before the Live session
Before you can observe the Live session, you must have a dscout login and have been added as a collaborator to the project that contains the Live session. Project members or viewers who are not assigned the role of moderator can join a Live session as an observer.
To enter a Live session as an observer, navigate to the session link provided to you by the moderator, or to your Live project's Manage page. You will see a splash page that will indicate your role as an observer and remind you that the scout cannot see or hear you nor can you interact with the scout.
Once you click the Join Session button at the bottom of the page, you will enter the Live session. If the session has not started yet, you will see the moderator and scout listed along with their Live connection status - either (Connected) or (Not Connected). Once everyone is connected, the moderator will start the Live session.
During the Live session
- The scout will only see the moderator face-to-face, and their in-session chat will only be with the moderator.
- The moderator will only see the scout face-to-face, and they will have two separate chat rooms: one for the scout, and the other with other members who are observing the session.
- Observers will see both the scout and moderator’s cameras. They will only be able to chat with each other and the moderator; not the scout.
- Moderators and observers have the ability to create clips and notes during the session.
Live session Overview
On the left side of the screen you will see the session clock, names of the moderator and scout, their connection status, and their video.
In the center of the screen you will either see the scout's video by default. If they have starting screen sharing then you will see their screen.
Here you can also create a clip of the Live session while it is in progress. To do so, hover your mouse over the scout video or screenshare and click Create Clip:
This will add a purple star to the Live session timeline and 'clip' 5 seconds before and after you clicked.
On the right side of the screen you will see:
- Scout's profile picture - allows you to see scout profile and demographic information
- Chat bubble icon - allows you to open the chat to see other invited researchers, including the Moderator, and chat with them
- Clipboard icon - allows you to open the notes to see other researcher notes and add your own
After the Live session
Be sure to rate the session and give feedback to dscout on how the session went.
Notes and clips recorded by moderators and observers will be available for all project members to see and add to in the packaged session recording.