Magic link issues in desktop Diary parts
When you’re ready to start a desktop part in a Diary mission, you’ll click Get Started on that part in the dscout mobile app, and then follow the prompt to email yourself a magic link. Magic links are how we help you make the transition from the dscout mobile app to your desktop or laptop. When opened in the Chrome browser on your computer, the magic link will authenticate you (so you don’t have to login again on desktop) and bring you into an onboarding flow for the specific part you’re working on.
If you’ve emailed yourself a magic link but are having trouble accessing your mission, try some of the troubleshooting steps below:
- My magic link is expired
- I didn’t receive my magic link email
- How can I access my mission without using a magic link?
My magic link is expired
For security purposes, magic links expire in 24 hours and each link can only be used once. If it’s been more than 24 hours since you sent yourself the link, or you’re trying to re-use a link, you’ll hit an expiration page.
Try sending yourself a new magic link by clicking Get Started or New Entry on the relevant desktop part in the dscout mobile app, then following the prompt to send yourself a new magic link.
If your magic link is showing as expired on first click, within minutes of sending it to yourself, it’s possible that your email client (e.g. Gmail, Outlook) is consuming the link before you click it. We recommend you follow the steps below to access your mission without using a magic link.
I didn’t receive my magic link email
We send the magic link to the email address associated with your dscout account. You’ll receive this email from email@example.com with Your magic link for Part ‘...’ of the ‘...’ Diary mission in the subject.
If you’re not receiving the magic link email, please double check the email address in your dscout profile on the mobile app for any typos or spelling errors.
If you want to change the address your magic link is sent to, you can update the email address in your scout profile on the mobile app, then resend the magic link.
If you’ve double checked your email address and are still having issues, it’s possible that all emails from firstname.lastname@example.org -- for magic links, but also notifications for dscout messages, comments, mission invites, etc. -- are being marked as spam or junk. Check the spam/junk folder in your email client, or try adding email@example.com to your contacts or safe sender list, then resending the magic link.
If you’ve tried all the above and still aren’t receiving magic link emails, we recommend you follow the steps below to access your mission without using a magic link.
How can I access my mission without using a magic link?
In addition to using the magic link, you can also access Diary missions with desktop parts from scout web homepage on your computer:
- Make sure you’ve accepted your invite to the mission from the dscout mobile app on your phone.
- Using the Chrome browser on your desktop or laptop computer, navigate to https://app.dscout.com/scouts/sign_in.
- Sign in to the scout web homepage using the same email address and password you use to access the dscout mobile app on your phone.
- Click on the relevant mission to get started. (Note: Only Diary missions with one or more desktop parts will display on the scout web homepage -- missions with all mobile parts will not display here.)
- You’ll be guided through installing the dscout Diary Chrome Extension, if you don’t already have it, and a hardware check. After the hardware check, you’ll land on the mission details page, where you can click Get Started or New Entry to begin a new entry for a desktop part.